March 30, 2014

Paper File for Research

I use old school and new school files – this is for old school, paper files for the information I am collecting.  As I do my research I may accumulate information by mail, e-mail, or coping on people and families.  I need a place for these items to go so when I start to work on that person or family again I have all new items in one location.  I make a file for each family as I start to put more work in to them (I do not have a file for all families on my tree yet).  I start with a label “GEORGE MILTON BAITY & ELIZABETH MARGARET JOHNSTON” (this family is green, I color code may families I will review this later).  On the cover of the file in the right corner I mark how they are related to me “Great Grandparents”, marriage dated, marriage location, then their first name and life span “George Milton 1875-1923”.  On the left side I list the children in order with life span and married name if they are female, then I star the direct line connection to me if there is one “* 5. Clarence Milton Baity 1912-1999”.


I then file all items in the file pertaining to this family for easy location.  Now if the a child’s items become too much I start a file for the child and label it as “LEONARD EUGENE MAYO  - CHILD #1 - BRUCE D. & ELNORA MAYO”.  I then have filing tube to hold these, on for my paternal and one for my maternal side.



I like the container better then filing cabinets because they are ready to travel by car to any place I might need them.

Other labels can be surname related like "BAITY - CEMETERY RECORDS" and marriage records, obituaries, census records, miscellaneous.  They can be what ever you need.

I hope this help you start your file, next I will go over my computer files.

Happy Researching Michelle

No comments:

Post a Comment