April 13, 2014

Computer Files for Research

How to organize your Family files on your computer, like anything read how everyone else does it an use what you like.  I have a File name with each Family Name and a number in from to keep them in the same order some what a the first page of my pedigree chart.  So 1 - 8 for the Great Grandparents name the a say 1A for the Family Name connect to that line.


Now inside the Family Name file I have a file for each of the Direct Line families, so Grandparents, Great Grandparents, Great-Great Grandparents, and so on.  I start 0-10 the GP next GG for who they are the there names.  An example 1st GG George Milton BAITY & Elizabeth Margaret JOHNSON. I also have a Miscellaneous file for thing I believe fit but have yet to figure out where, you can also have like BAITY Cemetery, BAITY Newspaper, BAITY Census, and so on if you what it together with like items.


Now I number 1-what every for the children and have a Census, Document, and Military folder.


This is were I keep all pictures and scans for a person or family.  Now I can just take my computer only I update from my last research trip and have all documents and pictures at my fingers.

I believe this is easier than carrying around files or binders.  I hope this helps.

Have from searching
Michelle

No comments:

Post a Comment