March 26, 2014

Organizing Your Records

Now that you have started your family search and have filled out the Pedigree Charts and Family Group Sheet regarding all you have learn, now you need to decide how you are going to keep your records.  This is a VERY IMPORTANT STEP but remember that you can refine your methods as you go along.

I started out with the Binder System, one binder per surname and then later on one color for paternal and maternal sides.  I found this work out to start but for some of my surname the binder got bigger (1” to up to 4”) as I went a long very quickly and some were just find with the starting size I bought.  I also one time took them on a research trip, thank god we went in a car or I could not have taken all I would have need on a plane (not paying the extra baggage fee).

Now I use a combination for file folders and folders on my computer.  I have a file folder per family (labeled Bruce Driskell MAYO & Elnora Maxine Pitts) and keep a Family Group Sheet and my Census Recap Form and any miscellaneous items I have not scan or sure if it is important.  I can take the files need for a research trip with me and now have a place to file and paper from a trip until I can update my computer program.  Now when I say on my computer I mean I scan documents and us Word and Excel form and keep them in folder per Family Name, then the Couples Name and then some times Childs Name.  Once this is set up then you can look into a Genealogy Program to input your information into.  You can also just use Ancestry.com or FamilySearch.org to keep your family tree on with so you do not need to pay for a computer program.

Remember there is OneNote, Evernotes, and other note programs you could also use.  I am not user of these ways so I do not have any input.  Just remember someone has probably make a blog or YouTube recording that can help.

Now you can search the web for help on Organizing Your Genealogy and come across many helpful pages, there are also books written on the subject.

Whatever system you use remember KISS keep it simple stupid.

I will next post with pictures the systems I use next just to give you some ideas.

Michelle

No comments:

Post a Comment